Wednesday 25 November 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Books You're Thankful For


In accordance to tomorrow being Thanksgiving, this Top 5 Wednesday is all about books you're thankful for. I have to admit that this took a bit of deliberating as I'm thankful for all the books I've read, whether I love it or hate because they all teach me something in end. Here's what made the list:

5. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


The Mortal Instruments, as cheesy as it sounds, is a series dear to my heart. I remember picking up City of Bones my freshmen year of high-school. A usual awkward transition was even made more so by my heightened social anxiety and overall awkwardness. I found solace in the school library and decided to pick this up do to the buzz around the movie. I immediately fell in love with Cassandra Clare's Shadow World. Her humor is like none other, and I felt a strong connection to these characters, even more so in the Infernal Devices. Even though some of the TMI characters aren't my favorite in the world this fandom is one of my favorites.


4.  I Am The Messenger & The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


Yes, I know this is going to be more than 5, but I couldn't choose between these books because I am thankful for both of them. I Am The Messenger is a usually underrated book in the shadow of The Book Thief, but I read this one first. I Am The Messenger is the story of an underage cabdriver, Ed Kennedy, who when accidentally stops a bank robbery, begins to receive mysterious playing cards, one by one in the mail. Ed Kennedy is now the messenger, chosen to to help those in his town who are in need or hurting. This book went beyond my expectations, it taught me a lot about human kindness, selfishness, and moral ambiguity. Even years later this story still stays with me. Also The Book Thief, which I proclaim to be a modern classic. This book is told through the unique point of view of Death, who catalogs the life of Liesel Meminger, aka The Book Thief, as she lives with her foster parents in Nazi Germany, and soon harbors a Jew in their basement. This book no doubt made me cry, probably the most I cried during a book. Markus Zusak has such a distinct way of writing that entrances you, even when Death foreshadows events to happen later on in the book, I still found myself shocked when they happened. This is a definitive must read for everyone. I don't care how old or what genre you prefer, this definitely must make it on everyone's shelves.



3. Mistwood by Leah Cypress


Another book that I'm extremely thankful for. Mistwood by Leah Cypress is a very underrated book. This is a standalone fantasy novel that follows Isabel, an immortal Shifter who transform into animal form, wind, or mist. She is bound by an ancient spell to protect the kings of Samorna, and when all is well she retreats to the Mistwood. It isn't until the Prince comes into the forest in search of her protection, only to find that she remembers nothing about her role. I cannot recall much else from his book due to the fact that I read this over five years ago. This was the first fantasy book I've ever read, which ended up happening because I stumbled upon the cover in the library and really loved it. Mistwood really was the gateway to discovering my love of fantasy books. The whole air of magic has always captivated me since then and is why fantasy still remains my favorite genre til this day. I definitely recommend you give this book a try. There is also a companion book to this called Nightspell, but focuses on another character.


2. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer



It wouldn't be proper to not mention this book. I was always an avid reader before Twilight, but at that time I was mostly reading middle grade, classics, and the occasional literary book. Twilight opened the door of young-adult to me, a genre I never really knew existed before. I still could remember checking these out from my school library and binge reading them during class. (Many times the teacher would take the book from me until the end of class and one time I got detention.) Now that I'm older I know its not the most well-written book out there, and I was never really fond of the characters to begin with, but Twilight really has made Young-Adult what it is today, and I applaud that. Forever thankful for this book and Stephanie Meyer.


1. D.W. The Picky Eater by Marc Brown



No doubt in my mind that this book would reign as the #1 book that I'm thankful for. This is the book that started it all, the first book I've ever read. I was almost four when my kindergarten teacher took our whole class to the school library. I've never been in  library before so I was immediately bewitched by the amount of shelves and books inside. The librarian pointed me towards a shelf filled with Marc Brown books and I randomly choose this one and it was the greatest moment of my life. I could remember relating to D.W. so easily since I too was a picky eater as a child. When I went back to the library I was starving for more. I began to check out two Marc Brown books at a time and soon read all the Arthur books on the shelf by him at least 3 times each. I was hooked. Marc Brown has great way of telling the mostly simplistic stories with beautiful illustrations. Even after I began watching the Arthur Show on TV I was still fascinated by these books. I honestly don't know where I would be had I not read this book. After this I was always in the library looking for something to read. This is why I always have immense amount of respect for libraries and librarians for helping me find solace in something I've never read before. Many people's first love was Harry Potter, but mine were Marc Brown's Arthur books and I will be forever indebted to him.




I hope you're all having a great Thanksgiving and stay safe over this holiday weekend. Happy Reading! 



No comments:

Post a Comment