Wednesday 22 April 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Books That Feature Traveling

Another day, another Wednesday. This weeks topic of Top 5 Wednesday is: Books That Feature Traveling. Truth be told that I had a hard time choosing 5 books because many of the books I read take place in one general area. But nonetheless, I found some that I really enjoyed. Let's get right into this.

5. Blood Promise by Richelle Mead


Blood Promise by Richelle Mead is by far my favorite Vampire Academy book and that is all because of where it takes place; Russia. I loved that we got to take a break from St. Vladimir's for awhile and go into the outside world. Mead's descriptions in this book are so vivid and beautiful that at times I felt that I was in Russia right alongside Rose. I think the traveling aspect of this book is so important because Rose ends up meeting some new characters along the way that really impact her life, and afterwards the entire trip changes her as a person. I wasn't too keen on this book series in the beginning, because Lissa was a really annoying character throughout, but the entertaining dialogue, and Rose's sassy narration made this series highly addicting.


4. Heist Society by Ally Carter


If I didn't have so many awesome choices, then Heist Society by Ally Carter wold have made the top of my list. For those of you who do not know, Heist Society in simple terms is Ocean's Eleven for teens. This book follows fifth-teen year old Kat Bishop, who grew up in a family of con-men and thieves. In the beginning of the novel she gets kicked out of the boarding school that she conned her way into. Her friend Hale, tells her that her father, has been accused of stealing a painting of a powerful mobster, who wants it returned in a matter of weeks. Kat, who wants to clear her father's name assembly's a crew to steal back the painting they believe has been hidden somewhere; in one of the most secure museum in the world.

This books has espionage, humor, family matters, and the romance isn't shoved in your face as the case in many YA books. I definitely recommend this trilogy to everyone, it is highly underrated but wonderfully entertaining.


3. Going Bovine by Libba Bray


Another underrated book that I absolutely love. I kid you not Libba Bray cannot write a bad book. For those of you who haven't heard of this book Going Bovine is about 15 year-old Cameron who just wants to get through high-school, but then gets diagnosed with mad-cow disease, and knows he is going to die. He is then visited by a punk-rock angel, who tells him there is a cure if he's willing to search for it. Cameron then sets off on a road-trip with a talking garden gnome, dwarf friend and insanity ensues. Let me be the first to tell you that this book is quite weird, but there is so much humor and depth into this novel. I loved the road-trip aspect of this book immensely, because it was entirely different from anything I read before. Half the time you're figuring out whether certain scenes or real or part of Cameron's hallucinations and that's only half the fun. I definitely recommend this book if you're looking for some humor, but also a bit of depth and reality.

2. Just One Day by Gayle Forman


Many times I hear of people talking about Gayle's first novel If I Stay, but rarely this one. In my opinion Just One Day is leagues ahead of If I Stay. This novel follows Allison Healy who lives a pretty structured life, that is until she agrees upon visiting Paris for just one day, with the free-spirited Willem, who she just met on her trip abroad. A large portion of this novel centers around that just one day in Paris and boy did this book blow my mind away. I wasn't a huge fan of Willem's character, but I was of Allison's. The way Gayle Forman forms her character arc was absolutely beautiful. I loved the descriptions of Paris, and everyday life in a city where most people focus on the tourist attractions. This books is not only about love, and travel, but also about finding yourself and this book left me so inspired. I still need to pick up the companion novel, Just One Year, but really looking forward to it.


1. The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan


And finally my number one pick, and a book that holds a very special place in my heart, The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan. Actually I count both the entire Percy Jackson and the Olympians and Heroes of Olympus series for this one. These books are just one epic adventure after another. There's so much rich story and traveling adventures in each of these books that I don't even know where to begin with. The road-trips in these books are so well fleshed out and described, that you can't help but feel you're right alongside these demigods on their epic quests. 

The characters are phenomenal, don't get me started on Percabeth. There is also so much to be learned from these books, I myself and many others learned a lot of Greek mythology while reading this, which has become something that I now absolutely love. If you haven't read this series then you must have been living under a rock, but definitely go out and give this a try. It is a common misconception that this book series can only be enjoyed by children, but there are many adults who love this book just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment